3 December 2020 – update
Welcome back to tennis
The Government has now confirmed that the Club will be in Tier 2 once lockdown ends. Please see the guidelines below to understand how tennis will operate from Wednesday 2nd December:
1 The Club will open for tennis activity on Wednesday 2nd December.
2 Outdoor Tennis
OUTDOOR TENNIS INFORMAL SOCIAL PLAY
- Both singles play and doubles play is permitted with people from outside of your household, as long as you remain 2 metres apart as far as possible – meaning that four people from different households can play doubles
- For informal social play, group size is limited to a maximum of six people by law. This means you can play tennis providing you only meet up with no more than 5 other people from different households and observe social distancing guidelines
- People should not go to a tennis venue socially in groups of more than six
- Permitted in line with the LTA’s Covid-19 Secure guidance for coaching activity
ORGANISED GROUP ACTIVITY
- Organised outdoor tennis activity for larger groups, including coached sessions, club nights and competitions is exempt from legal gathering limits and so is permitted by the Government as an exception to the limit of six, provided that venues, coaching providers and event organisers follow LTA COVID-19 secure guidelines
- Organised group activity is defined as being activity organised by a national governing body, club, registered instructor/coach, business or charity, where in all cases organiser must conduct a risk assessment and take all reasonable steps to limit transmission of the coronavirus by reference to that risk assessment and all relevant COVID-19 Secure guidance.
- For adults, group activity should be in line with the LTA’s advised court limits of a maximum of 12 people per court
3 Indoor Tennis
INDOOR TENNIS INFORMAL SOCIAL PLAY
- Singles play permitted for adults
- Doubles permitted for two households playing against each other (no mixing between households)
- Singles and doubles for disabled people and supervised activity for U18s permitted
- Permitted for a coach with one household/bubble
- It is also permitted for a coach to oversee two players from different households on opposite sides of the net playing singles
- A coach can oversee multiple sets of two adult players playing singles across several courts, as long as the players do not interact
ORGANISED GROUP ACTIVITY
- Organised indoor group tennis activity for adults cannot take place (we are awaiting confirmation as to if some limited activity for adults is permitted)
- There is an exemption for activity for disabled people and tennis for education purposes, which can take place in any number, and organised group indoor activity for U18’s which can continue in line with the limits for outdoors (max group of 15)
- Participants in these groups must still not mingle in groups of more than six before and after the activity, while maintaining social distancing with those from another household at all times. If an organiser is not able to ensure this (including when arriving at or leaving activity or in any breaks or socialising) then such events should not take place.
- Attendees must avoid social interaction with anyone outside the group they are with, even if they see other people they know, at all times during their visit
- While restrictions on indoor sporting activity have been imposed, organised indoor singles competition (not doubles) at COVID-19 secure venues can continue to take place for larger draw numbers, given activity for individual matches is limited to two people on court
- Singles and doubles competitions can take place for disabled people and U18s
Social distancing to be maintained before, during and after all tennis activity.
4 The Court sheets will open for booking at 8am on Friday 27th November.
5 Courts will be bookable seven days in advance.
6 Please limit your individual court bookings to 3 sessions over a 7-day period. We do need to ensure as many Members can book courts as possible post Lockdown.
7 When booking courts, you must provide names of all Members playing in your group.
8 No guests will be permitted to play.
9 Resumption of Autumn Term Junior Tennis Programme
The groups will resume on Thursday 3rd December and run to Sunday 20th December.
The remainder of the term will be in credit and will continue from 4th January – 24th January. (all juniors will stay in the same classes until the 24th January).
The spring term will run from 25th January. Information regarding the spring term and timetable will be communicated in December.
10 Social tennis activities
◊ Club Night will resume on Wednesday 2nd December at 6pm – 7:30pm on courts 4, 5 and 6.
◊ Ladies morning will resume on Thursday 10th December at 9:30am -11am on court 4, 5 and 6.
◊ Vets Matchplay will resume in Thursday 10th December at 1:30pm – 3pm on courts 7, 8 and 9
◊ Club afternoon will resume on Saturday 5th December at 3pm- 4:30pm on courts 7, 8 and 9.
◊ 18 – 35’s Social will resume on Monday 6th December at 7:30pm – 9pm on courts 15 and 16
11 Pay and Plays
◊ Monday Pay and Play sessions will restart on 7th December at 10am – 11:30am on courts 7 and 8.
◊ Friday Pay and Play sessions will restart on 11th December at 10am – 11:30am on courts 7 and 8.
Please sign up for all social sessions and Pay and Plays by calling Reception on 020 8480 4200, spaces will be limited.
Inevitably we will have many Tennis Members that will want to play over the next few weeks. Therefore, we ask everyone to limit their court bookings to 3 sessions over a 7-day period. If there are free courts on the day you can book additional sessions. This will ensure more Members get the opportunity to play tennis again.
We also request that all courts booked are used. Please make sure you if you book a court that you turn up for your booking or give due cancellation notice. Failure to do so will result in the Member having their booking rights suspended.
A big thank you to all Members for their support and patience through these difficult times. We will aim to keep up to date with the latest guidelines to ensure that everyone can get back out on court in the safest possible way.
Dan Lott | Racquets Director | firstname.lastname@example.org